The Indiana University School of Medicine (IUSM) was founded in 1903, and its first students were enrolled on the Bloomington campus.
Following the union of all medical schools in the state with Indiana University in 1908, the General Assembly of the State of Indiana, in 1909, mandated that Indiana University assume the responsibility for medical education in the state. Initially, students had the opportunity of taking the first two years of their medical school work at either Bloomington or Indianapolis. In 1912 all students entered through the Bloomington program and moved to Indianapolis for their second-, third-, and fourth-year courses. This remained in effect until 1958, when the work of the Bloomington division was transferred to Indianapolis.
The Indiana University Medical Center (IUMC) campus covers some 85 acres within one mile of the center of Indianapolis. The IUMC campus is part of the larger campus created by Indiana University and Purdue University at Indianapolis (IUPUI), which offers IU and Purdue undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
This material may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, display, and certain other uses of protected works. The user of this material is responsible for compliance with the law.